Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Hero Has Passed Away



 
I am taking a break from my normal postings, rants, and satire today.
I have lost one of my dearest and most respected family members over the holidays.
 
My uncle Gene Gillespie has passed on over the holidays; on December 22nd.
 
This man has accomplished everything that I could aspire to in one lifetime. His family has been given the best that a military man in his position could offer.

 
 
Gene was Air Force Special Forces. He was the flight line Tech. Sgt. in the late 60's and served valiantly through three tours in Viet Nam. He told the Colonels what flew in and out and what didn't.
 
Gene Gillespie was also a Tunnel Rat. He went where most men refused to go and saved hundreds of lives in the process.
 
While on a recon mission, he saved one platoon from certain destruction and received the highest award given to a man of his position at the time. LBJ and Lady Bird presented this to Gene personally.
 
I cannot tell you of the many courageous acts that this man accomplished in his storied carrer in the service of his country. Many of these missions were classified, and involved trecs into Laos and Cambodia. That is enough said.
 
If you have a moment today, please offer a prayer to this man and his family. We may never see his like again in this world of ours.
 
 
 
Thank You,
Scott
 

3 comments:

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Scotty, sorry for your loss, and may the fallen greet him with open arms.

Gorges Smythe said...

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your uncle. There's fewer men and women of that caliber all the time.

Unknown said...

Thank you Odie and Gorges. I wish I was permitted to tell what I really know of this man and his exploits.